Tuesday, August 8, 2017

My adventure comes to an end


Fifteen days, over 1500 miles, and countless memories.
All good things must come to an and and today is the end for me. One last venture on the Great River Road lead me to Oak Alley Plantation and Laura Plantation. It was quite interesting comparing the two plantations which are only a few miles apart. Laura is a creole plantation while Oak Alley has a history embedded in old New Orleans and St. Louis. Both plantations grew sugarcane, which is still abundant in the area. Once again, the contract between the slave quarters and the plantation homes really bothered me and left me with such a uneasy feeling. I'm glad I had the opportunity to view these areas and spend time wandering the grounds of both plantations.
This seemed to be a fitting end to my adventure which was based on life along the Mississippi and how the river impacted life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment