Monday, August 7, 2017

LSU rural town

I discovered an amazing place owned by Louisiana State University - the Rural Life Museum.  This museum, down to the machinery and actual 19th century structures, gave me such an understanding of plantation life during this time; especially from the view of the slaves on the plantations at that time. I never realized there was also a hierarchy in the slaves living on the plantations and this showed in their living quarters.
This place was pretty amazing and had such an authentic feel to the grounds. As I wandered through the cemetery and read the various inscriptions I couldn't help but feel moved and taken aback by learning of the hardships and determination felt by these people. This area was, and still is, so rich in culture  and inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment