Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Listening to locals is important


My goal was to make it to the end of the Great River Road, out on route 1 in Venice, Louisiana. When people heard this they were rather taken aback ...."in a small car?", "Did you hear the forecast?" I became concerned with the comments being made and questioned a bit further. One thing I did know was that the water and road were at the same level. Something I did hear was that thunderstorms were reported pretty much daily...and came up quickly, and caused quite a bit of flooding. I also knew that I would be driving out on this type of road for at least an hour and a half.
After quite a bit of soul-searching and investigating, I decided it was not in y best interest to take the trip down to the end of the road...Best decision ever!

After researching and mapquesting, I decided to change up my plans yet again and stay a bit closer. I headed off to Shell Beach, population 202. This town was on another part of the Gulf, on the eastern side of Louisiana. This ride brought me out to the fishing village and, unfortunately, to a memorial to the 1000 something lives lost during Hurricane Katrina. This Parrish was hit hard, and being there, it was understandable why. This far down in the delta, the water in all the canals that ran through the area was the same level as the road. Once that water rises and hits the bank, the road will be covered.
The area is still recovering. Houses are built up on platforms and planking. It is obvious which ones are post-Katrina. Still, the area is tranquil and life continues.
Driving back to New Orleans for a leisurely walk along the lakefront became a lesson in finding a place to shelter in place as a storm was quickly approaching. The once calm Lake Pontchartrain, that I saw just days before,had turned into the most violent of seas...water cresting over the levee and flooding the streets. Yet by time our lunch was finished, the storm had passes and the lake was a sheet of glass. I never would have believed that weather could change that fast and that conditions could deteriorate so quickly.I was thankful to all the kind people who made me realize a goal is not worth risking your safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment