Friday, July 14, 2017

Traveling down to Prairie du Chien


Travels to Prairie du Chien
What an amazing ride. There were times when I felt right at home...cows on the side of the rode, deer in the middle, bunnies everywhere... But then was awestruck by the beauty of the bluffs, the view of the locks and the charming river towns. I love the population signs...1221, 218, 66!
I met up with a lovely family who lived in a generation house, a family home for 5 generations, and have no desire to live anywhere else. I found this with most people that I met...the ties to family and community are very tight.
One stop that I made was in the town of Red Wing. I knew about Red Wing pottery but was not familiar with the shoes. What a time I had walking around town spotting all the "designer boots". This was and still is a factory town that depended on the railroad. It must have been a bustling town in its heyday if the St. James hotel is an example of high-style living for the prominent and wealthy of the time.
Speaking of the wealthy and influential people of the time...I found out so much about the history of Prairie du Chien and it's connection to the fur trade of the time. The town was once all on the island that is now home to just Villa Louis. Due to flooding and rising water, the town relocated on the mainland but original structures are still standing. I am looking forward to comparing this estate to the plantations further down the river.

1 comment: