Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Let's Talk Food

Ok, let's talk food
I keep meaning to write while I'm eating so I could get my thoughts down right away, but I get lost in the food I'm eating!
When I travel my goal is to eat like the locals. I try to find places off the beaten track or local hangouts. I find I get some of the best local treats this way.
For instance, while in St. Paul I went to Midtown Common Market, which reminded me of the night markets in Singapore. Such a diverse mix of goods, drink, and food. I had the BEST tacos I've had in a long time from a small vendor. He was so willing to fill me in on the various concoctions he made...all sounding awesome. 
Then there was Prescott, Wisconsin. I had this fabulous seared tuna  on a Chinese cabbage and kale salad....oh my gosh...I was in heaven sitting on the deck overlooking the rivers...I'm not sure I would have stopped at this place if Marjorie didn't recommend it. 
Oh, and then the dinner Mississippi Mike prepared...crab salad, smoked shrimp, salmon, cheese curds....
Followed by the smoked sausage and jerky from City Meat Market.
Then of course there was the St. Louis barbecue, followed by the Memphis barbecue a few days later (both wet and dry - thanks officers)
Did I mention the beer cheese?  a local  Well, take that and make it into a meal as beer cheese soup! Pair that with creole shrimp on a king-sized bed of local greens and veggies and that folks was my meal in Ferguson. 
Have you ever been out riding and keep seeing a sign for a certain food and, even though you might not really be hungry, you start craving that food? Well, Stonie's Sausage Shop won me over. Come to find out, they are a local sausage maker who sells sausages and smoked meats to surrounding stores, and sell the best sandwiches.
Beale street area was food paradise,  but to get away from the tourists, I took a local's suggestion and had some catfish tacos and hush puppies....to die for!
And now I'm sitting here eating, looking at signs advertising the "world famous" hot fudge pie....hmmm, think I might have to go for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment