Thursday, July 27, 2017

Singing the Blues

On the road to Clarksdale...home of some of the greatest names in Blues...
everyone I met told me you need to experience your own personal hardship in order to really sing the blues. The Blues music is about life, getting by, overcoming the broken heart, and obstacles that set you on a path of change.
Driving down route 61 and thinking of Dylan, and Clapton...standing at the crossroads... I felt moved by the history of the place.
Sitting in Ground Zero Blues, I was able to sing my own story of the flat tire I got along the way to my new friends. People are so open here and want to listen and share experiences. I learned so much about the area  and local history.  May short stop here turned into a great night of camaraderie and music...meeting musicians and even seeing Ike Turner's son; a spitting image of his famous father!
My regret is that I don't know enough about this American genre of music. I need to learn more and want  my students to understand the importance of this genre to the making of the States.

No comments:

Post a Comment